Participants acknowledge and agree to follow the rules of participation in the UAE Volunteers Virtual Ideathon 2020 organized by Emirates Foundation, and any of the Emirates Foundation's decisions
By registering and participating in this Ideathon, participants acknowledge that they have completely read and fully understood the Terms and Conditions and Participation Guideance and agree to the guidance, terms and conditions
contents, and acknowledge that they have read all the information available on the Ideathon website and the Volunteer's Release and Waiver of Liability Form
- English is the official language for registration, participation, idea/solution submission, and pitching. All teams must arrange and guarantee their own interpretation support if needed.
- Each team must have one coach nominated by the team’s organization
- Judges and Coaches cannot be registered as part of the participating teams.
- The team’s focal point must confirm that his/her organization has adequate internet access and that team members have the digital literacy needed to use the virtual communication tools required for the Virtual Ideathon.
Participation requirements are listed in the registration form.
- Each organization must complete and submit their registration before the deadline
- Each organization can register and participate with one team only to compete in only one of the subthemes/sectors
- Registration submissions will be reviewed and only 15 organizations will be selected to participate in the Virtual Ideathon, aiming at engaging 5 organizations per subtheme/sector.
- Organizations will be selected to participate in the Virtual Ideathon based on the below:
- Compliance with registration requirements (any incomplete registration will automatically disqualify the organization for selection)
- Strong organization profile and proven impact in volunteerism or the third sector
- Years of operation
- Number of initiatives implemented
- Level of local community involvement in projects and initiatives
- Number of active volunteers
- Achievements and awards received with evidence
- Affiliations with professional organizations
- Measures of progress and impact they use to pursue their mission (Performance Metrics)
- Member of the International Association for Volunteer Effort (IAVE) – www.iave.org
- A detailed comprehensive submission – 500 words – expressing how this participation will better help them serve the community
- Any team member who fails to participate in the event on any of the three Ideathon days will not be considered as part of the team.
- If at any time during the event period, an organization’s team has less than 3 members, or a team member is replaced without approval from the organizers, the organization will be disqualified from participation in
the Virtual Ideathon.
- An organization may not participate in the Virtual Ideathon with any team member who was not pre-registered or who entered after the Ideathon started.
- All shortlisted team members and focal points must confirm that they have read The Virtual Ideathon Participation Agreement and Waiver of Liability, and must agree to its terms and conditions.
- Pitching sessions will be open to the public and the other participating teams. In addition, the sessions will be recorded and parts might be used for marketing and social media purposes.
- Any team that fails to submit their idea in (PowerPoint and PDF format) by the deadline will be disqualified.
- Once the submission deadline has been reached, teams are not allowed to make any changes or alterations to their submissions.
- In the unlikely event a winning organization is unable or refuses to accept its award, or fails to submit the required documents for the award processing based on the award conditions, Emirates Foundation (via the Judges
selection) has the right to award the prize to another participant.
- Each winning team agrees as part of the award conditions to report on its outcomes six months after the award issuance and as specified in the award agreement.
Copyrights and Publications
- By participating in this Virtual Ideathon participants give consent to Emirates Foundation to take appropriate photos and videos during Virtual Ideathon activities, and that Emirates Foundation has the right to use
these photos and videos, and any photos and videos submitted by the participant during registration, anytime and anywhere as promotional materials for the Virtual Ideathon and Emirates Foundation without asking
the registered organization, team, or individual’s permission. This includes posts on Emirates Foundation and Emirates Foundation partners’ Websites, and/or use in media and social media and/or any form of publications.
Emirates Foundation will not deal with individual cases or requests related to this issue.
- Participants/team members guarantee that the artwork submitted is original (i.e. free from plagiarism), and that the organization they are representing in this Virtual Ideathon will be the sole and exclusive owner and
rights-holder of the submitted challenge solution and Intellectual Property, and that they have the right to submit the artwork to participate in this Virtual Ideathon.
- Each participant agrees not to participate in this Virtual Ideathon if: 1) it will infringe on anyone's exclusive rights, Intellectual Property rights, industrial property rights, personal rights, or other rights (including
but not limited to copyright, trademarks, patents or trade secrets), or 2) it would violate any applicable laws in the UAE or their country or in the country where they will implement the proposed idea/solution.
- In case that the participating project is based on an idea executed by any other individual/organization, the participating team should clearly declare this and document it in the proposed solution plan that they submit.
This is to avoid infringement on anyone's exclusive rights and intellectual property rights.
- Each member of each participating team agrees that his/her participation in this Virtual Ideathon will not provide him/her with any exclusive rights, intellectual property rights, industrial property rights, personal
rights, or other rights (including but not limited to copyright, trademarks, patents or trade secrets), and that Emirates Foundation considers the organization that has presented in this Virtual Ideathon as the
sole content, copyright and trademark owners.
- Emirates Foundation has the right to display selected submission components to the public including but not limited to name, description, images, video URL, website URL, team members, pitching videos, the Submission
category and platform, and submitter type. Other Submission materials and information may be viewed by the Sponsors, Partners, and Judges for screening and evaluation.
- All verbal or written information and documents provided to participating organizations and team members by Emirates Foundation or any of its delegated individuals, including but not limited to judges, coaches, and
mentors in the course or conduct of this participation shall be held confidential and shall not be divulged by the receiving party to any third party save to the extent necessary to effect the execution of the any
of the Parties of such Party’s obligations under this agreement, and then only on the basis that the recipient of such information shall be bound by similar confidentiality obligations to those undertaken hereof
by the participating teams/organizations.
- Winning teams/organizations may be asked to submit additional information deemed necessary by Emirates Foundation in addition to a publicity release and liability release.
- Emirates Foundation, Emirates Foundation’s Partners and Sponsors, Judges and Coaches, and any designated individual, employee or company responsible on administering, advertising or promoting the Virtual Ideathon holds
no liability and accepts no responsibility on the below:
- Misprints or errors in the printed call for submissions, announcement and/or other print and online text.
- Any technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines, internet connectivity or electronic transmission errors, or network hardware or
software or failure of the Virtual Ideathon Website
- Unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Virtual Ideathon
- Technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Virtual Ideathon or the processing of Submissions
- Any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from the participation in the Virtual Ideathon, or receipt or use or misuse of any award.
Code of Conduct
- The Participating team members/organizations agree to conduct themselves in a safe, respectful and prudent manner while participating in any activity conducted in this Virtual Ideathon
- The Participating team members/organizations understand that all participants are subject to Emirates Foundation regulations, guidelines, and relevant UAE laws and that in the event of violation of these or this agreement
or any of the Virtual Ideathon’s rules and conditions, or other behavior which is deemed by Emirates Foundation to be detrimental to participant or others, the Emirates Foundation, or any designee may immediately
dismiss the participant from the Virtual Ideathon
- The participating team members/organizations also agree not to deviate from the proposed Virtual Ideathon’s programme without the expressed permission.
- The participating team members and organizations understand that while team members participating in any such activity, they are subject to the Virtual Ideathon conduct code and that they are official representatives
of their organization, and that their actions and behavior will be assessed based on this fact.
- Emirates Foundation has the right to disqualify any team and dismiss team members from participating in the Virtual Ideathon. Possible grounds for dismissal include, but are not limited to the following:
- Misconduct or behavior not in keeping with the values of EF and/or IAVE - www.iave.org
- Being under the influence of alcohol or drugs during the Virtual Ideathon activities
- Violation of Cybersecurity rules, misuse of equipment or materials, or not using accepted and appropriate ideation/presentation techniques
- Abuse or mistreatment of fellow participants and/or staff
- Failure to abide by Emirates Foundation specific policies and procedures
- Violation of the safety measures while working on the submission and/or during pitching and/or during any of the Virtual Ideathon’s activities
- Not Completing and submitting any of the required forms, reports, signatures…etc. within the announced deadline
- Not showing compliance with rules and laws governing human and/or animal rights in their submitted idea.
- In case of misbehaving, the Emirates Foundation, or any designee, has the right to take an emergency action with the participant/s that includes, but is not limited to the below:
- Immediate disqualification and dismissal from the Virtual Ideathon
- Restriction of the accused participant’s presence in the Virtual Ideathon and any of related events and activities
- All participants commit to follow the dress code required by Emirates Foundation as per the below:
- All Participants should dress modestly. Clothing should not be transparent, indecently exposing parts of the body or displaying offensive pictures or slogans or prints of a political nature
- Participants are expected to follow the Business Casual dress code during the 3 days of the Virtual Ideathon while meeting/video calling with their team members and coaches, pitching, judging, and winners' announcement.
- Participating team members are obliged to abide by their social responsibility. It is important to consider certain factors in terms of behavior and etiquette. Some of the things to which they are expected to be socially
aware and responsible is committing to:
- NOT showing any public display of affection, noise disruptions, bad language, making obscene gestures and showing disrespect in any way.
- NOT to engage or start any discussion in any activities that will reflect negatively on any cultural and religious values.
- If at any time prior to the deadline, a team/organization believes that any Official Rule is or may be unclear or ambiguous, they must submit a written request for clarification by contacting the Ideathon team through